Monday 27 May 2013

DIY: Sweet Cinnamon Almond Butter!

Perhaps the easiest thing in the world to make!

I kid you not! I had my doubts about how this would turn out, but it took very little effort on my part and almost no time at all!

Totally worth it for the result!

I decided to have a go at making my own almond butter yesterday when I ran out of my jar of store-bought Ceres Organics, and there was NO way I was going to pay up to $14.00 for another 200g jar.

To make your own sweet cinnamon almond butter, all you need is:

  • 200g of roasted, unsalted almonds (you could try with raw, or roasted and salted, but I've no idea how it would turn out!)
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1-2 tsp of cinnamon (I used fair trade cinnamon- totally different flavor from what you'd normally find in the supermarket, but I love it!)
First, just throw all of your almonds into a food processor, with a blade attachment put in, and turn on to a low speed.




After 1-2 minutes, your almonds will start to resemble fine breadcrumbs, and will become slightly sticky.










While the food processor is running on low, pop in your stevia and cinnamon, and then turn the processor up to high :)

After 3-4 minutes, your almonds will start to stick together and begin to look like gingerbread dough. Scrape down the sides of the processor with a spatula if you need to at all :)
Give it another 1-2 minutes, and you'll end up with a lovely, thick, almond buttery paste! 

If you like your almond butter thick, then you're all done! But if, like me, you like things to be nice and smooth, let the processor run for another 1-2 minutes, and the almonds will begin to release lots of their natural oils, and the butter will become really smooth and creamy :D
Once you've got the almond butter to the consistency you want, scrape it out of the processor bowl and pop it in an airtight jar, where it will keep for ages!


I chose to put mine in my empty Ceres jar, because recycling is sexy, and good for the planet! ;)

This recipe would be so easy to double, triple, halve, or whatever you need to do! It would also be excellent with additions such as vanilla extract, coconut oil, nutmeg, honey, or anything else you can think of adding!

Processing times will vary depending on your processor- mine isn't that flash, so it takes a little longer than most, but just keep your processor going until you get your almonds to the consistency you want. I promise, it will get there sooner or later! :)

I've eaten this almond butter on my gluten free toast several times since making it yesterday, and it's absolutely delish!

And who would have thought it would be so easy to do??

I'd really love to make this recipe again, and try it out with different flavors thrown in!

What flavors do you love in your nut butters? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment